Syntax Demoparty can be reached via Syntax Discord [join].
Demo for PC / Mac / New Console
Demo "Midskool" computers
Demo Oldskool computers
Demo of anything (WiLD)
8-bit Pixelled Graphics
16-bit Pixelled Graphics
EXE Nuskool 8k Graphics
Animation (any style)
Black & White Photograph
Tracked (< 1MB)
30 Second MP3/OGG/FLAC
Competition entry rules and category specifics
- A member of your group or yourself will need to attend the event in order to submit your entry! Two categories are open to remote entries - these are GRAPHICS (all categories) and 30 second music - you can either login to WuHu to upload or simply email compos(at)syntaxparty.org
Update: If you missed the sign-up, hit up a SysOP on Discord in the PartyNet-support channel for access.
- Any submissions must be your original work and had no previous release at an event / internet in their native format.
- Any submitted work will be made available for free public download via scene.org and pouet.net
- Usual rules regarding content: nothing illegal, nothing racist / discriminatory, keep it an [M] rating, etc
- One entry per group (for demo), one entry per artist for music (extra collab is ok), and max of 2 graphics entries (per category) per artist.
- You do not have to release your source code if you do not want to - but always welcome.
- Upload entries using the PARTY SYSTEM at wuhu.syntaxparty.org
- If it's not uploading for some reason... use FTP / wetransfer / yousendit / Google drive share, etc.
- Please include: Title of piece, your handle, your country, & text for the projector slide. Thank you!
REAL-TIME DEMO COMPO - 2 Categories
- Nuskool Demo : real-time playback on a PC / Mac / Console (100MB Zipped Limit). No caps. Must run live.
- Oldskool Demo : Realtime playback on C64, VIC20, OCS, ST, CPC, Megadrive, NES, Spectravideo, Stock C65 early DOS PC (up to 486DX). Any home platform released 1992 or earlier. (No non-standard expansion. e.g., 32Kb RAM expansion for VIC20 is ok, 512Kb for OCS ok. But not 4MB for ST or 4MB for AGA!)
- MIDSkool Demo :Post 4th gen. (1992-1996 processor power) such as 030 Amiga, Falcon or early Pentium +VGA era, etc. Also includes "NuOldskool" systems like Maximite Colour 2, MEGA65 at full speed, X16, Pentium 1/2 era DOS (FSB less than 200mhz) Consoles such as Sega Saturn, original PSx, N64, etc.
(If there are less than 3 oldskool or 3 midskool entries, then compos will be combined into single compo)
- WiLD category:BYO creation! Anthing goes. (Arduino / PIC, etc), Smartphone demo, browser based demo, hardware hack or anything else outside of all other categories. Even a game or game mod or toolset you've created. We've had magic shows, puppet shows, a metal detector though delay pedals, zines, robots, ocillascopes, stiched art, a hacked telephone - even a cake! WiLD is very much a "for fun" category where anything goes. It celebrates making both for serious projects and for pure fun. Uncertain, then it can be entered here!
Max duration is 8 minutes max for demos (including pre loader). Longer demos will be faded out at 8 mins.
All C64 demos will be executed via an 1541 Ultimate Cart from D64 or PRG unless otherwise requested. Let us know if you want a demo running from a real drive and we will make it happen. Please also spec 6581 or 8580 SID! We will do our best. For absolute emergancy, please provide a hardware capture if you really want to ensure it sounds / looks perfect. No emulation capture will be played.
Screenshots of some of the entries from previous years.
BYO hardware (Arduino / PIC, etc), Smartphone demo, browser based demo, hardware hack or anything else outside of all other categories.
Even a graphical demo, disk mag, game or you can present / explain your hardware hack!
Uncertain, then it can be entered here!
MUSIC - 3 Categories
All music is limited to a maximum running time of 4 minutes (except for the 30 Second Music compo). Longer tracks will be faded out.
You can provide an MP3 / OGG file for public to download, but it will not be played at the compo.
If you are unsure in what category your entry fits then drop us a line and we will sort it out!
Tracked Music (1MB max)
... Includes: MOD, S3M, IT, XM, Madtracker, Musicline or OctaMED (no packed formats such as MO3)
The default player for IT, XM and S3M will be XMPLAY. Intepolation will be Sync unless spec'ed in the submission.
MOD and MED files will be played on an Amiga 1200 in mono with the filter turned off unless otherwise spec'ed.
M8 Project and Samples folder should total less than 1MB uncompressed! Please bring your M8 to play from.
Chip music (8bit or 16bit platform)
... C64C 8580R5 and C64 6581R4AR, Atari ST (YM), DMG Gameboy, Adlib, Sega Master System/Mega Drive, AHX (Amiga), NES/SNES or other hardware / synth chip pre 1993.
Chiptune entries must play from the real standalone hardware. Unrendered formats = disk image, PRG, SNG or ROM image. No MIDI or "chip sounding" VST MP3s.
Tracks in LSDJ are accepted, but SAV file should be submitted. Please bring your DMG to play from.
Chip crunched code (as long as it executes and decrunches on the hardware) is allowed.
We will have Commodore 64 available, with both 6581 and 8580 SID, a CPC, and a Sega Mega Drive. If you have other requirements please contact us. Because 2021 is a virtual event, please RECORD a version of your music as mono WAV, or 320kbps MP3 if you are worried about our SID. Hardware cap preferred. Our SIDs are below.
30 Second MP3 / OGG / FLAC [open to international entries]
Should be 30 seconds exactly! Submit as a WAV file. Any technology / software can be used. One entry per person.
Please name your file so that it includes your handle!
If you are new to tracked music and are curious how it works and why it is different from nuskool production methods, cTrix^DA wrote an this introduction 15 years ago for tracking music for Amiga & C64. It is by no means complete, but should get you started.
Almost all tracking software is free, the formats cross platform and sports a relativly easy learning curve. The tracking community is traditionally very helpful to new comers & oldskool members alike.
GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION (NON REAL-TIME)
- Pre-rendered Animation (3D or 2D) : Max runtime 5min [open to international entries]
- 8-bit Pixelled Graphics : C64 / CPC / Speccy / Famicom / Mastersystem (etc) [open to international entries]
- 16-bit Pixelled Graphics : ST / Amiga / Megadrive / PCe / SNES [open to international entries]
- Modern Graphics : PC/Mac - Max. res. is 1920x1080 and should be png or jpg [open to international entries]
- ASCii, PETSCii and ANSi (native format, traditional or extended) [open to international entries]
- Executable 8k Graphics - PC [open to international entries]
- B+W Photo (less than 5MB JPG plz) [open to international entries]
Remote entries can be emailed now to compos(at)syntaxparty.org
... Note: * if * we get enough ANSi entries we may have separate ANSi compos based on:
ANSI traditional: Image size: 80 columns, 23 lines. Standard 16 colours only, no iCE colours (disable in settings) or extended palette.
ANSI open: iCE colours. (extended use of the palette which allows use of two background colours at once) or Altered palette ANSI! (changing the HEX values of the 16 original ANSI colours).
ANSI extended: Extra wide ANSI. (over 80 columns wide - often called .BIN or .XBIN).
- Tools / Diskmags / Musicdisks / Artpacks
If you have an announcment... be it a musicdisk, art pack, tool, util, diskmag - let the organisers know and we will give you the opportunity to launch it on the big screen.
Screen grab and short description requested.