Syntax hosts a series of competitions that anyone is welcome to enter. There are 9 categories in 2013.
Demo for PC / Mac / Console
Demo Oldskool computers
Demo of hardware / other
Pixeled graphics *
Animation (any style) *
Tracked (< 1MB)
Chip tune (<64k)
16 Second MP3 (any source)*
Compertition Entry rules and category specifics:
- A member of your group must be in attendance of the party in order to submit your entry.
- Any submissions must be your original work and had no previous release at an event / internet.
Any submitted work will be made available for free public download via scene.org and pouet.net
Usual rules regarding content: nothing illegal, nothing racist / discriminatory, keep it an [MA] rating, etc
- You do not have to release your source code if you do not want to - but always welcome.
- A few categories are open to remote entries (including international)
Remote GFX due: Sat 9am AU Time. That is 11PM Saturday 17th Nov. Central European Time (CET)
Remote 16 sec Music / Anim due: FRIDAY 9pm AU Time. AKA 11 AM Friday 16th Nov. Central European (CET)
Send enteries under 1MB to : compos([at])syntaxparty.org (replace with @)
Large files use sn FTP or yousendit / mediefire, etc.
Please include: Title of peice, your handle, your country, & text for the projector slide. Thankyou!
REAL-TIME DEMO COMPO - 3 Categories
- Nuskool Demo : real-time playback on a PC / Mac / Console (100MB Zipped Limit). No caps. Must run live.
- Oldskool Demo : C64, VIC20, OCS, ECS, ST, AGA, Spectravideo & any other platform pre-1995.
- WiLD Technology : BYO hardware (Arduino / PIC, etc), Smartphone demp, Browser based demo, hardware hack or anything else. This can be a graphical demo or you can present / explain the hardware.
Max duration is 10 minutes max for demos (including pre loader). Longer demos will be faded out at 10 mins.
All C64 demos will be executed via an 1541 Ultimate Cart from D64 or PRG unless otherwise requested. Let us know if you want a demo running from a real drive and we will make it happen. Please also spec 6581 or 8580 SID!.
Screen shots of some of the enteries from previous years.
MUSIC - 3 Categories
- Tracked Music (1MB max)
... Includes: MOD, S3M, IT, XM, Madtracker, Musicline or OctaMED (no packed formats such as MO3)
- Chip music (64k max)
... C64, Atari ST (YM), DMG Gameboy, Adlib, Sega mastersystem, or other hardware / synth chip pre 1993.
Must play from the real standalone hardware at the party and be available as a distrutable format to run on hardware. Unrendered formats = disk image, PRG, SNG or ROM image. No MIDI or "chip sounding" VST MP3s.
Tracks in LSDJ are accepted, but SAV file must be submitted (we have cart readers, etc).
Maximum running time is 4 minutes. Longer tracks will be faded out.
You can provide an MP3 / OGG file for public to download, but it will not be played at the compo.
Chip crunched code (as long as it executes and decrunches on the hardware) is allowed.
The default player for IT, XM and S3M formats will be XMPLAY. Intepolation will be set to none unless spec'ed in the submission notes.
MOD and OctaMED files will be played on an Amiga 1200 in mono with the filter turned off unless otherwise spec'ed.
- 16 Second Music [open to international entries]
Should be 16 seconds exactly! Submit as a WAV file. Any technology / software can be used. One entry per person.
| || |
If you are new to tracked music and are curious how it works and why it is different from nuskool production methods, cTrix^DA has written this introduction for tracking music for Amiga & C64. It is by no means complete, but should get you started.
Almost all tracking software is free, the formats cross platform and sports a relativly easy learning curve. The tracking community is traditionally very helpful to new comers & oldskool members alike.
GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION (NON REAL-TIME)
- Pre-rendered Animation (3D or 2D) [open to international entries]
- Pixelled Graphics : C64 / PC / Amiga / any system! [open to international entries]
- ASCii and ANSI (native format) [open to international entries]
*Maximum running time for animation is 5 minutes.
- Tools / Diskmags / Musicdisks / Artpacks
If you have an announcment... be it a musicdisk, art pack, tool, util, diskmag - let the organizers know and we will give you the opportunity to launch it on the big screen.
Screen grab and short description requested.