Syntax hosts a series of competitions that anyone is welcome to enter. There are 9 categories in 2015.
Demo for PC / Mac / Console
Demo Oldskool computers
Demo of hardware / other
Pixeled graphics *
Animation (any style) *
Tracked (< 1MB)
Chip tune (<64k)
20 Second MP3 (any source)*
Compertition Entry rules and category specifics:
- A member of your group must be in attendance of the party in order to submit your entry.
- Any submissions must be your original work and had no previous release at an event / internet.
- Any submitted work will be made available for free public download via scene.org and pouet.net
- Usual rules regarding content: nothing illegal, nothing racist / discriminatory, keep it an [MA] rating, etc
- You do not have to release your source code if you do not want to - but always welcome.
- A few categories are open to remote entries (including international)
Remote 20 Sec Music entries due: Sat 1pm AU Time. That is 3am Saturday 12th Nov. Central European Time (CET)
Remote GRAPHICS entries due: Sunday 9:59am AU Time. That is 11:59PM Saturday 12th Nov. Central European Time (CET)
Send enteries under 1MB to : compos([at])syntaxparty.org (replace with @)
Large files use FTP / wetransfer / yousendit, etc.
Please include: Title of peice, your handle, your country, & text for the projector slide. Thankyou!
REAL-TIME DEMO COMPO - 3 Categories
- Nuskool Demo : real-time playback on a PC / Mac / Console (100MB Zipped Limit). No caps. Must run live.
- Oldskool Demo : C64, VIC20, OCS, ECS, ST, AGA, Spectravideo & any other platform 1992 or earlier.
- WiLD Technology : BYO hardware (Arduino / PIC, etc), Smartphone demp, Browser based demo, hardware hack or anything else. This can be a graphical demo or you can present / explain the hardware.
Max duration is 10 minutes max for demos (including pre loader). Longer demos will be faded out at 10 mins.
All C64 demos will be executed via an 1541 Ultimate Cart from D64 or PRG unless otherwise requested. Let us know if you want a demo running from a real drive and we will make it happen. Please also spec 6581 or 8580 SID!.
Screen shots of some of the enteries from previous years.
MUSIC - 3 Categories
All music is limited to a maximum running time of 4 minutes (except for the 20 Second Music compo). Longer tracks will be faded out.
You can provide an MP3 / OGG file for public to download, but it will not be played at the compo.
If you are unsure in what category your entry fits then drop us a line and we will sort it out!
- Tracked Music (1MB max)
... Includes: MOD, S3M, IT, XM, AHX, Madtracker, Musicline or OctaMED (no packed formats such as MO3)
The default player for IT, XM, S3M and AHX formats will be XMPLAY. Intepolation will be set to none unless spec'ed in the submission notes.
MOD and OctaMED files will be played on an Amiga 1200 in mono with the filter turned off unless otherwise spec'ed.
- Chip music (64k max)
... C64, Atari ST (YM), DMG Gameboy, Adlib, Sega Master System/Mega Drive, NES/SNES or other hardware / synth chip pre 1993.
Must play from the real standalone hardware at the party and be available as a distrutable format to run on hardware. Unrendered formats = disk image, PRG, SNG or ROM image. No MIDI or "chip sounding" VST MP3s.
Tracks in LSDJ are accepted, but SAV file must be submitted (we have cart readers, etc).
Chip crunched code (as long as it executes and decrunches on the hardware) is allowed.
We will have Commodore 64 available, with both 6581 and 8580 SID, and Sega Mega Drive. If you have other requirements please contact us
and ask what we have available or bring your own hardware.
- 20 Second Music [open to international entries]
Should be 20 seconds exactly! Submit as a WAV file. Any technology / software can be used. One entry per person.
Please name your file so that it includes your handle!
If you are new to tracked music and are curious how it works and why it is different from nuskool production methods, cTrix^DA has written this introduction for tracking music for Amiga & C64. It is by no means complete, but should get you started.
Almost all tracking software is free, the formats cross platform and sports a relativly easy learning curve. The tracking community is traditionally very helpful to new comers & oldskool members alike.
GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION (NON REAL-TIME)
- Pre-rendered Animation (3D or 2D) [open to international entries]
- Pixelled Graphics : C64 / PC / Amiga / any system! [open to international entries]
- ASCii and ANSI (native format) [open to international entries]
*Maximum running time for animation is 5 minutes.
- Tools / Diskmags / Musicdisks / Artpacks
If you have an announcment... be it a musicdisk, art pack, tool, util, diskmag - let the organizers know and we will give you the opportunity to launch it on the big screen.
Screen grab and short description requested.